Monday, December 23, 2013

THE BEST SINGLES & GUEST VERSES OF THE YEAR



This year’s list was hard for me to decide on, I mean I had favourites, but there was soooo much good music to choose from, so here we go:


1.     Khona ft. Uhuru- Mafikizolo
If this song didn’t make number one, Oluwa would ask me! The heartbreak song of the year is also the best song of all time (for now). Khona means come back and here Mafikizolo and Uhuru sing for their loved ones to come back including an ex-member who died in a car accident and the female lead’s daughter who too died in a separate car accident, hence the broken down car in the visuals.

2.     Can’t Hold Us ft. Ray Dalton- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
One White boy ruling hip-hop, that’s nothing new! But two?! The ceiling couldn’t hold rapper Macklemore and the Jazzy Jeff to his Will Smith, Ryan Lewis.

3.     Royals- Lorde
There’s something cool about artists being self-deprecating, point in case New Zealand singer Lorde who knows she’ll never be a royal, but damn it if she ain’t hood-rich!

4.     Blurred Lines ft. Pharrell & T.I- Robin Thicke

5.     Miracle Mile- Cold War Kids
One of the advantages of watching Vampire Dairies (Yes, I do. No, I’m not ashamed) is you get to hear songs you would otherwise never hear anywhere else. That’s where I discovered this little gem of a Rock Indie anthem and it was released this year too, how lucky!

6.     Stay ft. Mikky Ekko- Rihanna

7.     Body Party-         Ciara
I tried not to like this song, cause I’m a hater to everything, but you can’t deny a good thing when you hear it!

8.     Radioactive-         Imagine Dragons
I have no idea where these guys came from, but I haven’t heard a rock song in a while that turned heads upside down quiet like this.

9.     I Love It ft. Charlie XCX- Icana Pop

10. Skelewu- Davido
This is the most infectious song of the year, as a matter of fact… *backs away from keyboard and starts to Skelewu*

11.  U.E.O.N.O (Black Hippy Remix) ft. Future- Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul & Jay Rock
Of all the U.E.O.N.O remixes, this is by far the most lyrical and most impressive in my opinion!

12. Personally- P-Square
Personally this is my favourite P-Square song and I’m not that big a fan of their music, I mean they have a lot of hits, but very few classics, if you know what I mean. This is a classic, only P-Sqaure could invent, “habatically!”

13.The Truth- Mode Nine & XYZ
People keep sleeping on Modey and he’s the truth… I’m telling nothing but the truth, when I’m writing these posts, I’m writing nothing but the truth! Aha!

14. Cups (Radio/Video Single)- Anna Kendrick
This song was originally written and performed in 1931 by someone whose name I forgot. Over the years it’s been covered by millions of artists, but actress Anna Kendrick is the first to do it with… cups (?)… and a banjo for the radio version, hence the renaming to “Cups”.

15.Happy- Pharrell Williams
From the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack; Pharrell’s just a big kid, I swear!

16. Julia- Sza
The next R&B starlet takes it back with this 80s pop sounding R&B tinged song.

17. Gangsta- Kat Dahlia

18. Always Love You- Burna Boy
This EDM track may seem off with the other ones on Burna’s debut (I mean it doesn’t make the official tracklist), but it’s absolutely great in my opinion.


BEST GUEST VERSES OF THE YEAR:

Contrary to popular belief, King Kendrick Lamar DID NOT have the best guest verse of the year (well not on my list), here’s my list:


1.     BIG K.R.I.T on A$AP Rocky’s 1 Train ft. Kendrick Lamar, Joey Bada$$, Yelawolf, Danny Brown, Action Bronson & Big K.R.I.T.:
There’s a reason why Kendrick Lamar mentioned BIG K.R.I.T on his Control verse, you see K.R.I.T killed him and every other person featured on A$AP’s 1 train, which would explain why they gave him the last verse… so everyone else could get a chance to be heard!


2.     Wiz Khalifa on Rocky’s U.O.E.N.O (Remix) ft. Wiz Khalifa & Future


3.     Nicki Minaj on Chris Brown’s Love More


4.     Young Jeezy on Yo Gotti’s Act Right ft. Young Jeezy & YG
Also the funniest verse of the year! Here’s a sample: I make your bitch pass out/ Straight hit the floor/ She said “I never seen a car like that before/ And what’s that thing sticking out”/ I said that’s the door/


5.     J. Cole on Justin Timberlake’s T.K.O Remix ft. J. Cole, A$AP Rocky & Pusha T
The funniest (and best) response to Kendrick’s Control verse and Cole only uses a few lines to respond.


6.     Jay Electronica on The Bullits’s Murder Death Kill ft. Jay Electronica:
A verse about the environment from the perspective of a fish (?!) and then some?!


7.     Jay Electronica on Big Sean’s Control ft. Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica:
Yes, I think Electronica had a better verse!


8.     Kendrick Lamar on Big Sean’s Control ft. Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica:
And we finally have Kendrick and his oft-mistaken controversial verse; he just asked homies to step their game up is all… and the whole world went crazy!


FAVOURITE LINES OF THE YEAR:

1.     /Girl, why is you lion (lying)/ Tell me why you Mufasa- Childish Gambino on 3005.

2.     Girl, what is that? ... A ringtone?/- J. Cole’s response to Kendrick Lamar’s Control verse on Justin Timberlake’s T.K.O Remix.

3.     /I got a rooster in my (fe)‘rari/ Might be your bitch/- Jeezy on Yo Gotti’s Act Right ft. Jeezy & YG.

4.     /Skinny nigger, but my dick long/- A$AP Rocky on A$AP Ferg’s Shabba ft. A$AP Rocky.

5.     /I fucked her on the spot/ I’m just being honest!/- Future on Honest.


No comments: